History: The First Grave
The first humble grave at Lithuanian National Cemetery was that of a 2-year-old child. V. Zaleskis, the first manager of the cemetery reburied his daughter from the Lithuanian Catholic Cemetery as by strict rules of the time, non-churchgoers were buried behind the fence there. By the time two years went by, the cemetery was consecrated by Bishop S. B. Mickevicius, a founder of the Lithuanian National Catholic Church in the United States.
In 1913, a small wooden house served as the administration office on the property. The growth of the burial grounds was reflected in a larger, stone building erected in 1937, complete with columbariums and niches to house cremated remains, and equipped with a microphone and speakers in the bell tower for memorial services. Earlier, in 1934, forty more acres were added to the cemetery.